Saturday, September 15, 2012

Day 64 - Nine Week Results

I love Saturdays!  It’s a day that we generally just get to hang out as a family.  There are always errands and things to do, but it just feels so much more relaxed and peaceful.  I woke up this morning and went to the gym for a half hour stretch class that was followed by an hour interval class.  I really enjoyed both classes, but the intervals kicked my butt.  The nice thing was that it counted as an hour and a half of exercise.  So, I just had to add half an hour on the elliptical and I was finished with the day.  Easy peasy!

One thing I have noticed is that the exercise is definitely helping with my stress levels.  Before I started this, I was always wound really tight.  I found myself snapping at Michael more than I wanted to.  I know that all moms with special needs kids have huge levels of stress.  I also know that I just wasn’t handling it well at all.  It took a lot of people reminding me that if I don’t take care of myself, I can’t take care of Michael.  I finally get that. 
Now that I’ve been doing this for a while, I feel much calmer.  I find myself listening more, laughing more, and just appreciating my life more.  I don’t fully understand how spending two hours a day exercising can make such a profound difference, but it’s undeniable.  It’s probably a combination of a million things – I’m sleeping better, there are tons of endorphins running through my system, I’m making myself a priority, etc..   It all adds up and I really do feel like a better wife and mother. 

When I first started, I was feeling so guilty for taking so much time for my own needs.  I felt so selfish taking time and resources to do this.  But, honestly, I am so glad that I am.  I feel like my reserves are deeper.  I don’t feel like snapping all the time.  I have pride in taking care of myself.  Best of all, Michael is understanding the importance of exercise.  This afternoon he wanted to do yoga again, so he could be healthy.  So, if you have any doubt about taking the time for yourself, please know it’s worth it.
All that said and I forgot to make the big announcement.  It’s officially nine weeks now, and I was at exactly 330 lbs. this morning.  That is exactly 18 pounds in 9 weeks.  It’s still slower than I had been hoping when I started, but I can’t deny how happy I am, and how proud I am.  My clothes are starting to get looser, and some shirts that I had stopped wearing because they were too tight are now back in rotation.  It feels good to know that I am doing this, and it is working!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Renee, that's SO awesome. The inner peace is an OUTSTANDING side effect, and the weight loss picture is VERY distinguishable from the starting picture. It's hard to visualize 18 pounds, but seeing it really has an impact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I am horrible at being patient, so slow and steady is very hard for me. But, I think that as I can see more and more change in the pictures, I'll be OK. And the calm is definitely something I wasn't expecting, but really appreciate!

    ReplyDelete