Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Day 47 - Balance and Perspective


OK, I was all ready to talk about two grueling exercise classes and how proud I am of myself that I made it through them.  But, I was sitting here working on my computer, getting a few things done that needed doing when Michael decided it was time to talk about his day. I guess I wasn’t paying enough attention because the next thing I know he is telling me, “Mommy, I need eye contact.  We’re having a conversation here.” 
For those of you who don’t have a child on the spectrum, you can’t understand how completely this blew my mind.  Eye contact is incredibly difficult for him, and so is conversation in general.  So, for him to want to do both was just awesome.  He continued on to tell me that in speech they are working on conversations and eye contact.  So, he is taking something he is working on at school and applying it to home.  That level of generalization is just amazing.  I keep going back and forth between being shocked and thrilled.  I’m going with thrilled!

But, it does remind me that no matter how hard I am working to lose weight and get fit, he has to work ten times harder every single day just to get through the day.  That level of work and intensity is incredibly inspiring.

2 comments:

  1. I do too! I am grinning from ear to ear for him. It's bittersweet though. He has to work so hard for everything. I have to work hard at this journey, but it's my choice. He doesn't have that luxury. But, every step forward is huge!

    ReplyDelete