Sunday, August 5, 2012

Day 23 - A Quiet, but Busy Day


This weekend seems to have flown by.  Today was a really busy day, but a good one.  Michael woke up this morning and decided that his hair was too long and he needed a haircut.  Now, this is a child who has severe sensory issues and has been terrified of haircuts since he was a toddler.  But, we’ve been taking him to the same lady ever since his second haircut.  She understands him, and he trusts her.  About as perfect as a relationship as you can have with a hair stylist!  So, off we went for a haircut.  I’m sure he’s a lot more comfortable with his hair out of his eyes and off his neck.  And, of course, he looks adorable.
After the haircut, we came home and I did a five mile video.  It seemed easier yesterday.  But, even though I drank about 40 ounces of green tea during the walk, I did manage to finish.  I was really tired, but I had promised Michael that if he let me exercise w/o interrupting, I would give him a bubble bath – one of his favorite treats.  So, up the stairs with my sore knees.  But, while he was in the tub I managed to fold one load of laundry and get another one into the washer.  Not bad!
After the bath, we came back downstairs and ha some quiet time.  Michael played on his tablet and I played on facebook.  We had some lunch and just relaxed for a while.  Then, it was time for 45 minutes on the elliptical.  As good as it is to listen to a fiction book on tape while you exercise, it’s even better to listen to an exercise focused book.  I’ve been reading “Younger Next Year, For Women”.  It really fits in well with the program I’ve already started, so it’s really motivating.  The idea of being in better shape at 45 than I ever was at 25 is definitely appealing!

Now, I haven’t been complaining as much about my knees lately, but they still do get sore and tired – even with the magnesium spray.  So, I asked Michael to go upstairs and move the laundry from the washer to the drier and turn it on.  He did!  Then, later, I asked him to take it out and put the laundry basket on my bed.  It took him two trips to do both tasks, but he did it!  As wonderful as it was to save two trips on the stairs, I was so proud of him for learning a new skill.  He’s watched me and Steve do laundry millions of times, but it was great to see he was actually paying attention and could do it himself!  Now, if only I could teach him to fold!
So, overall, it’s been a great day.  I got my exercise in, tracked my food on My Fitness Pal, got several chores done, and had some quality time with Michael.  Pretty soon, I’ll be spending quality time with my pillow.  Have a great night!

No comments:

Post a Comment