Saturday, August 11, 2012

Day 29 - House Arrest is OVER!

Today was weigh in day.  I have to say that I’m really disappointed with the scale.  I’m at 336.5, only one pound this week.  But, when I look at the pictures comparing today to two weeks ago and today to four weeks ago, I can really see a difference.  So, I am choosing to ignore the scale and focus on the changes that I am seeing.  I really like the small changes in the mid-section.  Loosing belly fat is always a good thing!

The first picture is starting vs. now:

The next picture is two weeks ago vs now:

I wanted to really see the differences so I changed shirts for the second picture!  Since I've only managed to lose two pounds in the last two weeks, it does make me happy to see the differences in both pictures!

Steve is finally finished with his meetings and house arrest is over!  So, since I was finally able to get back to the gym, I think I might have overdone it today.  I started out the day doing a group strength class.  It had been highly recommended by someone from another class and I had been looking forward to trying it.  It was hard work – lots of lifting and squatting and crunching.  But, it was actually fun.  It was an hour class and the group kick class was immediately after. 

A bunch of people from the strength class were staying for the kick class so I thought I’d give it a try.  I only made it twenty minutes.  I thought I was going to pass out right there in the back of the classroom.  I did make it out the door and onto a bench before collapsing in a little heap.  So much for two back to back classes.

I’ve been thinking about getting an exercise bike just so I’d have something different to do at the house.  So, we went and tried a couple bikes at the store.  I definitely got a workout trying the different bikes.  But, by the time we got home I was completely exhausted.  The thought of doing anything else was totally out of the question.  So, I don’t know that I made the whole two hours today, but I was pretty close, and it was honestly the best I could do.  Tomorrow is another day.  Of course, I did promise Steve that if I felt this exhausted tomorrow I would take an unscheduled rest day.  Right now it feels like a good idea, but I will wait and see how I feel in the morning.

So, I can’t believe that I’m four weeks in.  I’m trying to remember how long they say it takes to develop a habit, but I have to be at least halfway there by now.  And, I have heard that things magically get easier at six weeks.  It might be a fairy tale, but for now, I choose to believe.

4 comments:

  1. You are doing SO well. You're wise to only use the scale as a general guide. You've made a LOT of progress even if it's not reflected on there. I I know since I've been back at it about the same amount of time, the scale has moved a little, but I noticed changes in my body that the scale can't measure and those make me a lot happier than I could even imagine!

    I know you're doing good with the eating plan, but could it possibly be that you're not eating enough? have you been tracking actual calories? That could make a difference in what the scale says.....just a thought. I'm glad you get to go back to the gym, YAY! We're headed on vacation on Wednesday, not sure how the week off will go, hope it goes well, I'll be able to keep eating in check. Cheers to another 4 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been paying attention to calories. I've been averaging right about 1800 calories. It might not be enough for the amount of exercise. I am re-evaluating some of my diet rules now and might bump the number up a little bit. When I was doing so well years ago, I was eating 2200 calories a day and losing easily. This time, it just seems so much harder!

    And you are right, the non scale changes really do make me happy. Today, I am so sore from yesterday I'm pretty miserable. But when I'm not in pain, I'm happy. Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally makes sense and I would guess that 1800 is too low. I'd guess you're burning at least 400 calories an hour, so double that and subtract it from what you're eating and that's only 1000 calories. maybe if you add 200-500 calories and see if that helps move the scale. But I totally know what you mean about being happy despite the pain :D best feeling!!! Hope you aren't too sore today, but sometimes having a lighter workout day is good, by far better than nothing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to a spinning blass this morning. The bike part wasn't so bad, but wow, the seat was painful. I don't think I can do that again. I'm making some diet adjustments now, and increasing calories. I'll let you know if it helps! :)

    Today, I went shopping with Steve. At one point we had wandered pretty far from the car. He offered to pick me up. I was able to say no, I'll walk. He was shocked, and happy!

    ReplyDelete