Saturday, March 9, 2013

Day 239 - Saturday at the Biggest Loser Resort Niagara

Saturday at the resort is pretty much half a day, but it’s the most intense half day possible.  There was no stretch class this morning, so I was supposed to be able to sleep in.  No such luck.  Right around 5 am, my eyes opened and I was up for the day.  Not a bad thing, considering.

After breakfast, we had our morning hike.  As much as I hate to admit it, I’m starting to like the hikes.  It’s nice to be able to get some fresh air and sunshine at the same time as the exercise.  Who knows, maybe when the weather gets nicer, I’ll see if we can go for a family hike somewhere.  That would definitely be different!

After the hike we had our last chance workout.  It was intense!  Basically, the trainers set up a circuit around the gym with all kinds of stations.  For example, there were planks, pushups, treadmill running, wall sits, ropes, etc.  We had 90 seconds at each station.  You never really think 90 seconds is that long until you are panting and out of breath.  After the first time around at 90 seconds each, we did a second circuit of 45 seconds each.  I thought I was going to die.

Just when I thought I couldn’t take any more, it was over.  And I was so proud of myself!  I don’t think I have ever pushed myself this hard physically in my entire life.  I finally understand where they say so much of it is mental.  You think you can’t do something, so you fight anyone who says you can.  When you just say, ‘I’ll try it’, you can really surprise yourself.  I never thought I could run at all, but I did.  I was a short distance, but I did it.  I never thought I could do the ropes so long, but I did.  Every day I tried something new and I was surprised.  I want to keep surprising myself.

After the last chance workout, we had snack and one last class – ‘Be Your Own Personal Trainer’.  It was in the gym, but basically, it was a chance to ask the personal trainers questions so we would be ready to go home and have a plan.  I was able to write down a pretty good full body workout that I can do at home with a set of weights.  There were a bunch of questions, and then it was over.

We had most of the afternoon off, and I was really sore, so I decided to have one last massage before going back home.  It was pure heaven.  I think I definitely need more massage in my life.  After that, I came back to the room and did most of my packing.  I still have a little to do in the morning, but it’s not that bad.

Graduation was really nice.  We sat around a fire pit and talked about (and threw into the fire on paper) things we wanted to leave behind, and things we wanted to take with us.  It was really emotional.  Everyone came to the resort for a different reason, but we all had a common cause.  And, the camaraderie in the group was phenomenal.  I have never bonded with so many people, so quickly.  I really do expect to have these new friends for life. 

After graduation, one couple had made arrangements to renew their wedding vows.  It was so sweet.  I loved their vows to each other, and the commitments they made.  Of course, it reminded me of Steve, and of home.  I really am ready to go home.  I miss my family so much.  And now, I feel like my family is a little bit bigger with the friends I made this week.

Tomorrow morning will be busy.  I have my weigh-in at 8:30, then breakfast, and then one last stretch class.  After that, I will drive home.  It will be a pretty long drive, but I promise, I’ll at least update you with my results.  I will probably have at least one other post with a ton of pictures, and maybe some ideas if you decide to come to Niagara.  It’s a wonderful, wonderful thing to do for yourself!

I did have one big revelation today.  In the past, I have always viewed exercise as a punishment for being fat.  Now, I have learned that exercise is something my body needs to be healthy.  I finally see exercise as treating my body with the love and respect that it deserves.  That mental shift might seem tiny, but to me, it’s really, really huge.

2 comments:

  1. I have really enjoyed reading about your week at BLRN. It turns out you were there the week before I was there! Those snowy hikes were treacherous, for sure. I actually fell and injured my back quite badly on Thursday and I was unable to finish the program. I hope to go back in the fall and do it to the very end. Thanks for sharing your journey. You are a real inspiration and you are doing amazing! ~Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou, Kelly! I am so sorry you got hurt! It had to be so disappointing to start, get all the way to Thursday, and then not be able to finish. I really wish I could have gone in the fall, before the snow. I think it would be absolutely gorgeous. Maybe someday I'll be able to go back!

      Delete