Monday, March 4, 2013

Day 234 - Monday at the Biggest Loser Resort Niagara!

OK, I’m starting to see why there aren’t a lot of detailed accounts of the resort on the web.  I am so tired it is an effort to type!  I’m battling with myself right now because I should go hang out in the hot tub or sauna to relax my muscles, but I am so tired I just don’t have it in me to change, walk to the pool, change again, and walk back.  I know that sounds terrible, but that’s how tired I am.

The day started out with a ‘Know Your Gym’ class at 6am.  It was basically an introduction to the different machines in the gym.  I will try to get a picture tomorrow.  They have rowing machines, treadmills, octane machines (which are like recumbent elliptical machines), elliptical machines, and recumbent bikes.  Then there are a bunch of strength machines, a TRX setup, ropes, and free weights.  It really is quite impressive!

After the first class, we had breakfast.  I really hate that they don’t have coffee.  I know I shouldn’t be so addicted to it, but it’s hard to limit myself to just the one cup I can brew in my room before heading out the door. Other than that, breakfast was great.  All the food is great, actually.

Next was a class called ‘Cinco Speed’.  It was basically cardio intervals that added up to five minutes.  For example, 3 minutes hard, 2 minutes less hard.  Then 4 and 1, etc.  I tried using one of the octane machines since I had never tried one before.  I got my heart rate up to 95%  and quickly!  The trainer was great.  She was really motivating us to push as hard as we could, but there was no yelling or intimidation involved.  I did back off a little and kept my heart rate around 85% most of the class.  I just couldn’t keep up at a higher pace.

Next up was a core class.  As much as I hate to say it, it was probably my favorite class of the day.  It was 30 seconds each of two exercises, a water break, and then back to two more exercises.  We did three sets of each duo.  The first was full plank combined with supermans.  Because they were only thirty seconds, I was able to do the full plan and not put my knees down.  Yeah me!  Next was leg lifts and side planks.  I had to go to a knee on the side planks.  I’m just not strong enough to support my full weight with straight legs.  One day.  Next was a few different styles of sit ups.  I won’t go into the full detail, but it was intense.  I will definitely be feeling this class tomorrow!

After core was snack time and a group fun activity.  It was a get-to-know you thing where you pulled questions out of a bag and then answered it.  Mine was ‘If you had to change your name, what would you change it to?’  I like my name.  I always have.  So, I just said I’d re-pick my confirmation name, Elizabeth.  Most of the questions were better.  Oh, the one good thing about being over 250 pounds is that you get a larger snack.  So, I got a hard boiled egg, carrot sticks, and a tablespoon of almond butter.  I really enjoyed it!

The last class before lunch, you get to pick between three different classes.  The choices were:  Mountain (a really intense cardio session), Stretch (more relaxing than anything), and water aerobics.  I chose water aerobics.  It was a really hard workout.  Again, it was interval based, with some core at the end.  The good thing was that the pool was warm, so it wasn’t a huge shock getting in.  I’m glad I went to the pool class today, but I am not sure if I will pick it tomorrow when we get different choices.

After lunch we had a lecture.  It was mostly on the different aspects of the program here.  Some myth busting (all calories are NOT equal), and an introduction to why they set up the food program the way they did.  It was really interesting, but not a whole lot of new information.  It did seem new to a lot of the people there, so that was a good thing.

By far, the hardest thing of the day was the ‘baseline hike’.  Because of the snow we had a choice of either walking on paved trails or through the woods.  I chose the paved trails.  Even though they were paved, they were still snow covered and slippery.  One of the trainers actually fell.  Fortunately, I don’t think anyone else did.  But, even though I’ve been working out for so long, I don’t do a lot of full weight bearing exercise.  I was out of breath so fast it was depressing.   But, I did three loops around the track, and kept going the entire hour.  It was hard, really hard, but I did finish.  And, I didn’t stop.  Oh yeah, I didn’t cry either!

After the hide was another snack and then ‘Strength Circuit’.  I loved this class!  It was basically 90 seconds on each of the strength machines in the gym.  There were two trainers for about 15 of us and they really stayed on top of us.  The checked our settings, our form, and our weights!  I don’t know how they managed it, but they did.  I was really impressed at how gently they challenged us to increase our weights, and didn’t fuss if we needed to back down.  It’s a very subtle, but effective approach.

There was an optional stretch/ab class to end the day.  I was hoping it would be more stretch than abs, but it was exactly the opposite.  It was only half an hour and it seemed to fly by.  Lots of crunches, of varying formats.  It was good, but I was ready for it to end.  The stretch part was really nice, though.

Before we could celebrate the end of the workout day, there was another lecture.  It was all about the different macronutrients:  fats, carbs, and proteins.  It was really interesting, and I did get some good information.  They advocate filling your plate with 50% non-starchy veggies, 25% starchy veggies, and 25% protein.  Healthy fats being added for flavor and cooking.  It seemed really reasonable.

Dinner was delicious, as usual.  There were two chocolate covered strawberries for dessert.  I never thought I could stretch out and savor two strawberries as long as I did!  It’s amazing how you can deal with small portions and really enjoy them.

Now, I am back in the room.  Like I said, I should have gone to the sauna or the whirlpool, but I am going to bed.  It is going to feel so good to get a hot shower, relax, and go to bed.  I don’t care that it’s not even 8pm yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment