Saturday, February 2, 2013

Day 204 - Thank You National Aquarium!

I totally forgot to get on the scale this morning.  Michael has been talking all week about going back to the aquarium and seeing the parts that were closed when we went last month.  They have a wonderful program where they open early for kids with special needs the first weekend of the month.  So, we promised Michael we would take him today.  Of course, that meant that he was up with the sun, and so were we.  Getting on the scale was not part of his agenda, and I’ll have to do my weigh in tomorrow.

We had the entire aquarium to ourselves for half an hour.  It was truly amazing.  I felt like a VIP family just walking around and looking at everything.  There were no crowds, no lines, no chaos.  Michael was so happy.  He had his map out and made sure we saw everything.  It was such a different experience from when we had to carry out a crying, overwhelmed child who just couldn’t handle the crowds and the noise.
So, I am counting the two plus hours we spent walking around the aquarium as my exercise for the day.  By the time we got back to the car and I could sit down, I was exhausted.  Even though I’ve been exercising regularly for a while now, it’s just not the same as actually walking in the real world.  I am thinking that once spring gets here, I’m going to have to fix that.

The best part of the day was definitely seeing his face as he realized that he could wander around the exhibits and be completely at east.  He was reading the display information and making comments.  I could let him more than two feet away from me without worrying about him wandering off or getting lost.  I have never had that level of security at any outing with him.  Ever.  It was beyond amazing.  Thank you National Aquarium!

No comments:

Post a Comment