Friday, December 21, 2012

Day 161 - Something new at yoga


Today was a good day with challenging moments.  I was able to get to my favorite yoga class, and it had a great surprise.  Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to get on the bike today.  I have a valid reason that I don’t really want to get into, so you’ll just have to trust me on this one. 
The challenge today was trying to decide if that reason was valid.  Steve pointed out that we have a three hour drive coming up and that I needed to be injury free for the trip.  That confirmed for me that I really needed to take it easy today and just do my yoga class that I knew was safe.

When I got to yoga tonight, there was a surprise.  The instructor said that she wanted to try something new – standing sun salutations using the wall.  I was really nervous to try it since sun salutations are usually really hard for me.  So hard, in fact, that I can’t keep up with them.  But, this was a modification so that the entire sequence was done standing, using the wall for support.  The premise was very similar to doing push ups against a wall.  I loved it!  I was able to get the benefits of doing the sequence, but I was able to keep up, and my knees didn’t hurt!  So, as skeptical as I was, I am so happy she tried this!
And, the whole experience gave me more insight into Michael.  He has always been afraid of new things.  Even when we promise him he will like it, he doesn’t believe us until he’s experienced it.  That is exactly how I was tonight.  As soon as I heart ‘sun salutation’ I was afraid.  As soon as we went through the whole sequence, I relaxed.  Once we did it twice, I was hooked.  I guess that apple really doesn’t fall too far from the tree!

No comments:

Post a Comment