Monday, July 23, 2012

Day 10 - Introducing Strength Training


Today really was a Monday.  It was hard for me to get moving and keep my motivation for the day, but I did it.  Did I mention it was hard?  I did a 4 mile video first thing this morning, and then went to meet with a trainer at the gym at lunch time. 
The trainer session is a standard start up session for all new members.  She asked me a bunch of questions, had me use the treadmill for several minutes, and then showed me around the weight circuit.  It’s been a long time since I’ve used any of those machines, and my muscles felt it!  She wrote a card for me to tell me my seat position and weight for each of the machines.  I just hope I remember everything we talked about when I go back!  Then, we talked about the different classes that are offered, and she suggested a few I might like to try.  Not bad for an orientation type session.
After work I still had 30 minutes to get in, so I got on the elliptical and cranked it out.  No intervals, just straight cardio.  I just don’t think my legs had the strength for intervals today.  It was really strange, it was the hardest session on the elliptical in some ways, and the easiest in others.  I really had to push myself to get on and stay on, but at some points, I actually found myself enjoying the movement.  I’m not sure what it means, but it’s interesting.
Tomorrow will be a rest day, and I really, really need it.  I am planning on going to bed early tonight and really taking advantage of some time to let my body recover from all the abuse.  I’m sure everything that is talking to me at the moment will thank me tomorrow night!  I really think the only thing saving me right now is going into the hyperbaric chamber with Michael.  I started out only going in because he can’t go by himself.  Now, I find myself really looking forward to the sessions. I think the biggest benefit for both of us is the anti-inflammatory effect.
I read an article online today that was talking about how HBOT can help with inflammation in children with autism.  It talks about reducing CRP, which is an overall indicator of inflammation.  I know my marker has been high for many years now.  So, I am hoping that the therapy will help both Michael and me.  What I do know is that my aches and pains aren’t nearly as bad as they should be for all the exercise.  HBOT has to play at least a small role in that. 
Now, it is time to get my son to bed, and who knows, I might just go to bed really, really early myself.  Good night!

6 comments:

  1. Did your trainer show you any free weights or only machines? Since this was only the first session, perhaps they will work in free weights later. I do strongly encourage you to try free weights as well as machines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We defiitely didn't even talk about free weights yesterday. I am hoping to get there at some point, but I am not sure where they fall into the trainer's point of view. She seemed to be really pushing the classes and the main circuit. Of course, that's probably the safest thing to be pushing. But, I agree, there is defiitely a lot to gain with trying them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's been 4 years since I joined the gym I go to (granted, I took the better part of 3 years off) and I still haven't had my free training session. I'm afraid I'd want more and we can't fund that right now. I know it would help me feel better about the machines, but instead, I'll start with some exercises at home with free weights. progress is progress!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Progress is always good. And I know what you mean about being afraid to get started. I know we can't afford personal training right now, but I want to get every drop I can out of the membership I bought. So, I will do the free sessions, learn what I can, and cobble together the best program I can. We will do this, right Coli??

    ReplyDelete
  5. In my experience, it is not unusual for a free or orientation training session to not mention free weights. They often want to focus on showing people how to use the machines correctly and such. Due to my height (4'5"), many of the machines are uncomfortable or downright dangerous for me because the reach or the angle was made for a person a foot or two taller...so I've had to become more adept at free weights. I feel like the range of motion you can get with free weights is so much better than on a machine...but there is room in weight training for both. For example, it is tough to train the lower body without machines. POssible, but tougher than the upper body.

    I also encourage you to check out the core board, balance ball and medicine ball and incorporate them in your workouts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will definitely keep the free weights in mind. I'm just getting back from a very intense session at the gym. Right now, all I can think about is water and lying down. Wait til you read about today, tonight! :)

    ReplyDelete