Friday, February 28, 2014

BLRC - Day 6

TGIF!  I can't believe it's already Friday!  This week has just flown by. Today was a lot easier than yesterday, but still unbelievably challenging.  But, when the day starts with a 6am stretch class, you know it's going to be good.

The morning classes were C3 and MPower.  C3 is a core/cardio class.  Basically, we did three minutes on a cardio machine, and then did three minutes of core exercises.  Three minutes of crunches, leg lifts, mountain climbers, etc. is really, really hard.  I found out later it was supposed to be broken up into 45 second chunks with 15 seconds of rest.  That would have been a lot less cruel.  But, I did survive.

The MPower class used a lot of resistance band exercises.  There were a series of stations around the room and in the hall that consisted of a resistance band exercise paired with a cardio exercise.  For the first round, we did two minutes of strength followed by one minute of cardio at each station.  The second time through we got to pick a minute of either exercise at each station.  It was really hard, but kinda fun at the same time.

The morning lecture was on last minute strategies for going back to the real world.  We all made sure we had our goals set, knew what we were going to have for meals the first few days back, etc..  It was a good, practical session.

The after lunch lecture was called Be Your Own Personal Trainer.  Better had us make sure we knew what our plan was to get in our cardio and strength training for the first month home.  I am going to be making a couple tweaks to my program, but nothing major.  She also answered a lot of questions and made sure we were comfortable with our goals and plans.  She also reminded us that stuff happens and that we have to be prepared for setbacks.  If you plan for them, you can plan to overcome them.  I like that!

We were supposed to have an outdoor activity this afternoon, but it was too cold to go out.  Instead, we had a choice between a pool workout or a bootcamp class.  I chose the pool.  It was a great class.  It was short, but intense.  And, there was time to get in the hot tub afterwards.  I loved that.  When I heard how hard the bootcamp class was, I was even happier with my choice.

The last class of the day was Zumba.  I hated every second of it.  I have no rhythm, and I just can't move that quickly.  Not to mention my lack of coordination.  But, what was horrible was that all the twisting and quick movements really hurt my knee.  It took every ounce of stubbornness I had to not leave the class and just walk the hall.  But, I made it to the end.  Once it was over, I pretty much had a complete breakdown.  I was in so much pain I just sat down and cried.  I felt so loved though.  All my friends rallied around me to see what I needed, the teacher even got me an ice bag for my knee.  Of course, that just made me cry more.  But, eventually I calmed down in time for the cooking demo and dinner.

After dinner, we had a surprise bridal shower for Kim.  She is the one who arranged this whole reunion, and is getting married next weekend.  The shower was short since everyone was tired, but very nice.  And, I think she was genuinely surprised.  A dozen women really can keep a secret!

No comments:

Post a Comment