Thursday, February 27, 2014

BLRC - Day 5

The word of the day is OUCH!  First thing this morning we started off with a 6am crossfit workout.  It was a repeat of Tuesday's class to see how much better we could do today.  I went from 3 rounds plus one to four rounds minus one.  For me, that's a huge improvement.  And, I'm really proud of myself.

After breakfast we had a class called Mountain.  It was very different from the one at Niagara, and I actually really, really liked this one.  The class was in 5 minute increments.  You chose a machine and did two minutes at a high intensity, and two minutes at a high speed.  Then you had a minute to cool down and/or switch machines.  He changed up which was first, speed or intensity, but you always had the minute to recover.  At the end of the class I was able to go up to an incline of 15 on the treadmill at a 2.5 pace, and do a 3.5 pace at an incline of 1.  Now, I know that's nothing for most people, but for me, it was huge.  I walked out of that class so proud of myself I had to be beaming.

The next class was MC2.  It was basically muscle and cardio combined.   Every two minutes you switched between cardio and strength.  The cardio was riding spin bikes while doing bicep curls and lateral raises. The muscle parts were 3 sets of step ups with an overhead press, 3 sets of ball slams (FUN!), and 3 sets of kettle bell swings/figure 8s (not so fun).  It was an extremely challenging class, and my arms were like rubber when it was over.

Next up was the label reading class.  But, because we had that at Niagara, we got to go to a bonus class, Abs of Steel.  It was exercises like crunches, leg lifts, roman twists, etc.  But, between each exercise was a minute plank, and then they switched to 30 second side planks.  By the end of this class, my abs were pure jelly.  I will feel this one tomorrow!

Finally it was time for lunch and a lecture.  The lecture was on planning strategies and it was really helpful.  We set goals for the next month or two, and talked about how our goals fit in with our 'why' - the reason we are here in the first place.  It was a great session.  I wish we had more open discussions with the life coach!

The first afternoon class was a pool class.  It was mostly intervals in the water combined with a lot of ab work.  Again, I am going to feel that tomorrow.

The last class of the day was Smackdown, a boxing class.  I absolutely loved it!  It was a lot of hard work, but I really enjoyed it.  It was the first time I ever wore boxing gloves, and I was a little nervous.  But, I soon figured out that punching things is a great way to get out anger issues.  Half the class punched the bag and pushed it across the room while the other half ran the hall and sparred with the instructor.  The second half of the class was even more fun.  Half of us punched the bag in place while the other half did wall sits.  The instructor would come by and spar with us in a line against the wall.  It doesn't sound like much fun, but it was great.

I didn't really care for the last lecture of the day.  I was expecting more on meal planning, but it was mostly identifying carbs, proteins, fats, and 'free' foods.  That's not something I need a class on, and I really could have used the time for a nap!

A couple people have asked if my pita issue last night actually hurt me.  And, I think it did.  My knees have been killing me all day.  I don't know if it's the gluten exposure, or just that it was a really hard day.  Either way, it's been a painful night.  I have arnica and ibuprofen on board, so hopefully I'll be OK.

Now, dinner is over and it's time to get ready for bowling.  It will be my first night activity, and I'm looking forward to it.  But, it will mean I won't be in bed early.  I'm sure I'll survive.  Have a great night!

No comments:

Post a Comment