Sunday, June 9, 2013

Day 330 - Yin/Yang Yoga

I tried something new today - a yin/yang yoga class.  It was 90 minutes long and really fun.  The yin part of the class was a lot of gentle stretches held for about five minutes each.  You don't realize how tight your hips are until you hold a hip opening stretch for that long!  The yang part of the class was more what I am used to - more active postures in a flow.  Then, the class ended with savasanah.  I really enjoyed it.

During the stretches I had a lot of time to just think and process.  I kept coming back to the fact that I have gone from viewing exercise as a way to punish my body for being fat to actually enjoying the movement.  Where before I wanted to lose weight for a myriad of superficial reasons, now I want to be able to do more.  I want to be more flexible.  I want to be able to go hiking.  I want to move.  While that may sound really basic and simple, it's a huge change for me.  And, I have started to appreciate my body for everything that it can do, and does for me.  Again, simple, but a huge change of philosophy for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment